January calls for good hearty soups, grainy breads with real butter, eaten with friends by a crackling fire. Today is one of those days, and these are two recipes sent by our Nana and her sister Mimi. Believe me, these two cooks wouldn't send anything that wasn't worth your trying so I suggest you be one to enjoy either of these entries! I think I'll be making the tortilla as soon as I get this posted. Bless Yall today!
3/96 San Miguel de Alende tortilla soup 8 servings
(this recipe reportedly, was procured though much humble requesting by a lady who knew a good thing when she tasted it. Authentic and amazingly delicious!)
saute in a little oil:
1 onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic, mashed
1 jalapeno seeded and chopped
add:
1 #1 can stewed tomatoes
5 cups chicken broth
1 can tomato soup
1 tsp. each, ground cumin, salt, chili powder,sugar
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
2 tsp. each Worcestershire sauce and tabasco
simmer for 1 1/2 hours over low heat
assemble, grated cheese, hot soup, tortilla strips( I have found these in the salad topping at the grocery so I do not make own anymore) sour cream and avocado slices
absolutely the best I have ever tasted! I like the soup alone without all the condiments!
enjoy, Tina (Nana to those of us who get to share her table often!)
Cabbage and Potato Soup Recipe
I got this recipe from a friend who found it in the Canadian Living magazine. It is my "special soup" that I serve on special occasions and to guests . Everyone loves it.
by
8 servings
1 hour 20 min prep
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups shredded cabbage
2 medium potatoes, pared and diced (about 1 pound)
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped leeks
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups half-and-half, divided
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
2-3 drops Tabasco sauce
In a large saucepan, heat broth over medium heat.
Add cabbage and potatoes.
Cover and simmer about 10 minutes until potatoes are tender.
In a large skillet, over medium heat melt butter.
Add leeks and cook until tender.
Stir in flour (into leek mixture) and cook 2-3 minutes.
Add 1 cup half and half to the broth mixture.
Add leek mixture to broth mixture.
Add remaining ingredients.
Stir in remaining 2 cups half and half.
Cook over low heat 10-15 minutes.



