When we went to TUMC out here in our little community, there is such a familiar face that always comes to my heart..Well, truthfully there are several... but one rather stands out!
Forrest Reynolds was probably the first face many would see on any given Sunday morning...
He'd hand out the bulletin with his staunch salutation and then proceed as required to the next person coming into the door.
I remember a particular ritual at this little church was the requisite "Lord's Supper",
and Forrest was the one on assignment to keep the parishioners on task.
He'd march to the designated row and in prompt military style,
he'd point our way to the front of the church...
no one dared decline the directive of Forrest...
although I think there was a distinct element of fun lurking close behind the regulated countenance of this pillar of TUMC.
I think this because he had one of the most delightful counterparts in his sweet bride,
Mabel.
Today I was going to visit this precious lady in her new home at the retirement center.
She'd mailed me 4 family recipes
(I'd asked for 1 in particular...
but as I would have guessed, 3 more came with it:)
She'd also given me many bluebonnet seeds through the years...
and today, I wanted to tell her
THE BLUEBONNETS ARE GONNA BE BEAUTIFUL THIS YEAR!!!
Also ... not surprising.
She showed me around the whole place... and much there was to see I tell you!
BUT.... nothing would do but that I HAD to hear the "entertainment"!
They sat like we used to at middle school dances...
girls on one side and boys on the other!
I felt like an honored guest as one after another song was requested
"sing it for Carla because she has to go early."
So I heard... something about the "false teeth congregation"...
(a song about seniors picking their false teeth and having a great time with or without them)... then the best... "That's where I got my education"... (back behind the barn)...
oh my.....the giggles that came from that group of fun folks!
I must say the song had just a touch of risky behavior insinuated...
and I felt like each of those over 90 year old eyes were plastered on me
to see how I'd respond.
I do think I blushed a couple of times!
BUT NOT THEM......they just LOVED IT! and the two guys singing....
Well.....perfect!!! They were the kind that you can believe
the "back behind the barn" song was written about... I guarantee!
I do believe they were even flirting with me... in an absolutely charming sort of way! :)
The sensitivity of the lead singer to his older cohort was immediately evident...
they'd done this for a while, and I was privileged to be in attendance!..
The hats were appropriate... and the guy in the starched pants...
well, I assure you, this was not his first time on stage.
I really feel like his life had probably been lived out
on whatever stage he happened to be that particular day.
Starched pants, caramel ostrich boots and matching belt, and a Stetson to be sure...
this guy KNEW how to dress to please his audience!
As they sang one after another, I got taken back to the places they
(and their audience) had been, toes tapping and a two step right beneath the surface...
their eyes sparkled with the not too distant memories.
and I'd only planned to deliver a jar of my favorite hand cream to one of my favorite Tuscola ladies.... with the word that the bluebonnets should be in bloom next spring!
BTW.... I had no idea that the next day Mabel would be 92!
I'd never have known.... Happy Birthday Mabel, and thanks for an unexpectedly lovely day!




