Friday, December 12, 2008

The Tree Eater Commeth.... Thank you Troy for my Christmas... I CAN SEE!!!! my trees can breathe.... I LOVE IT!

Christmas came a bit early this year, and it was brought, not by a large bearded man in a red velvet suit, but by 2 handsome guys in camel carharts! Yes, it certainly is those Denson brothers, Michael and Marcus.... and man oh man did they make my heart sing!!! (yes, that's Cody too.. he knows this machine up close and personal!) I just had to put several pictures here, so I won't put many words... JUST LOOK at what my wonderful husband did for me for Christmas.... Those yucky old cedars (although I do like their color) were absolutely choking the life out of my oaks, redbuds, sumacs and even my mesquites (YES, I like mesquites and their very individual ways of growing!!)
The cedars are literally covering up the beautiful long lived native grasses and trees!
I know the deer love to hide in the thick evergreen, but Marcus tells me that they will also love the mulched cedar that is left after the TREE EATER comes! (I think it must kill the parasites that linger on through the winter... cedar oil is good for that!)

You can just see the tops of the red oaks as the cedar tries to invade the area!
THEN>>> THE TREE EATER COMES, and all that is left is what you see here....
MULCH!!! leaving the native grasses in tact and ready to come back next spring!

Amazing huh???? remember the big cedar that was right here at the corner and was allowing only the crown of that red oak to peak through??? NOW LOOK!



We left the mesquites... they don't drink as much water as the cedar since they are deciduous and dormant in the winter months... BUT wait till Spring and their sweet spring green leaves are able to be seen!


The kids just had to pose on the "sleigh" of our "Santa Clauses".... funny... no bells, just teeth!


A walk back to the prayer chapel always passed Eric the Red... Troy had clipped out some of the shinery below, but look what the tree eater did! CLEAN!!! HE CAN BREATHE!!!

This is a look just west of the prayer chapel... this area had been filled with cedar so much that you couldn't even see these oaks that we knew were there...



This is a look from the far west fence line up the road that goes to the house... I CANNOT tell you the difference, but those of you who've walked this place, or played capture the flag, or hide and seek back here... you KNOW the difference!

This picture is walking down the road with the chapel on the left.... remember Matt that big old oak that fell when you were working out there, and you worked forever cutting it into pieces... look at this now... and what took Dwayne Dacus weeks to clear took this amazing machine only a few days!

Thank you Troy for one of the BEST CHRISTMAS presents I could ever have had!