Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Balcony or Basement

(seems I wrote about something like this a while back, but after walking into an ICU ward at a hospital recently and after seeing results that words, and actions brought in life and death situations, I thought again about what we bring to each other in ourselves.)
Crazy thing is, we are who we are! I had someone tell me a while back... "don't EVER expect me to change, because I've done it this way for way too long!" I can't even remember what I was asking them to "change" (or if I was), but it must have been something that was an inherant part of this person. Isn't it cool how many different ones of us there are? Isn't it refreshing when how we are is recognized and okay because we are loved beyond our quirks? I read a couple of books LONG time ago by Joyce Landorf Heatherly. One was about "balcony people" and the other about "basement people" in our lives. The basement people are those who have a rather dour expression on the world and all that is in it. They are the people who insinuate things like "are you gonna go that way again?", "are you still whining about that?", "is that REALLY what you think would be right?", "who do you think you are?" , "what in the world ARE you thinking?", "what are you DOING (or why haven't you done this/that yet)?"; They criticize, find fault and generally drag people down to the basement with them. They don't see us, they see themselves and what our "us" is doing to their them... wierd huh?
The balcony folks on the other hand, will see who we are... their eyes are WIDE OPEN to the truth, and they love us just like we are. They are the cheerleaders, the encouragers the ones who are in the stands (or balconies) of our lives and say... it doesn't matter what I see here, I know the truth of who you are and I LIKE YOU! I don't expect you to be like me, and I am glad God placed you in my life just like you are! You are GOOD! I see you, and I like who you are! (even if you are a bit quirky and different and want to wear your hair like that, or find that loud music satisfying, or think about things way too much or too long, or always have to be doing something, or saying wierd things, or or or.... whatever the "ors" are) I will stand on the "wall" for you, even when you feel you can't. I LIKE YOU!
These are the people who will someday, maybe, have our permission to speak into our life. Maybe they are the people who we will trust to really look beyond and into our heart. (maybe they already do, and they are just waiting to let us know how wonderful they see us to be?!)
Maybe they are the ones who will be clear water reflections and tell us more about who we are. Tell us who they see, and free us to live beyond words that come from the accuser of the brethern. I'm so glad there are those of you who do that for me. Thank you! I cherish you more than you know. I am hoping for you today.... I am HOPING for you today and forever...
balcony people.
I believe God puts this gift in some parts of His body for just this purpose.
I am praying that those of you who have this gift will not be intimidated...
and will bring the sunshine into dark places, and that as you walk in,
shod with the gospel of peace.... chaos has no option but to retreat!
YEAH balcony people! love ya lots!!!!!!!!!