Once upon a time, I wanted a black and white longhorn cow. I searched all over the internet for this lovely cow. I found an amazing herd out of Oklahoma that had its roots in the original Texas Longhorn herd. I'd even talked on the phone to the lady who began this herd. I'd picked out the bull and the momma and I was just waiting to talk Troy into the procurement,
THEN,
we got a call from our favorited vet... he is Will's wonderful dad, and our wonderful friend. (isn't it just too cool that God put a vet in the family???? Guess He knew that with Ellena Kristin, He'd better have a close "fixer" for the animal "situations" that somehow ALWAYS manage to pop up in this family!)
back to the story. We got this call, and he told us of a herd of Longhorns near him that were being auctioned for unmentionable circumstances.... again, PEOPLE!!!! these animals were starving to death. He said there was one little black and white heifer (girl, for those of you like I, who are limited in our cow vocabulary) that was a bit wild, but pretty. (sounds like my kind of little girl)... anyway, my high dollar longhorn purchase went to the back burner and the rescue of this little orphan came to the front. We named her Aledo, and after much distress of her being too young to be "with child" (Jeff and Will, don't laugh), she brought us a little gift today...



