Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Jergens Lotion, Old Spice, and White Lilac.... home!

I went into the drugstore recently and you'll never guess what I found...
Jergens Original Scent lotion!!
Do you remember it?
I remember the old black and white teardrop shaped bottle that sat on my mother's bathroom cabinet for all my childhood days.
Along with it sat two other bottles...
Dorothy Gray, White Lilac Cologne,
and the NEVER changing creamy white funnel shaped bottle with the
red sailing ship on the label.... Old Spice.
It was the fragrance that smelled like my Dad...
I think it was one of the many things that told me despite his dangerous appearance,
Troy would be a safe harbor for me.
He too wore Old Spice.. foregoing the more popular Aramis, Brut, or English Leather
("all my men wear English Leather.... " you remember the slogans)....
but Troy... wore Old Spice...
like my Dad had since before I could remember.
Some things just tweak that part of our brain that
combines the senses into places of remembrance.
The smells feel like home to me.... lilacs and spice...
and then the soothing cherry almond smell of Jergens lotion.
I always thought my mom's hands looked like those long delicate ones with the pretty red fingernails that advertised the lotion she wore.
She could have been that lady in my little girl eyes...
well, maybe she was for all I knew.
Isn't it funny how those things roll back into view with just the smell?
Well.... I bought 3 bottles and before I gave one to each of my daughters,
I said... "close your eyes and smell"
THAT is a piece of my childhood you just experienced.... take it home and enjoy!

The bottle looks different, but just pop open the lid (no it is not the old black pump top anymore) and you'll remember.......sometimes that's good for us!