Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Who are you "talking" to?

Today I did what has come to be one of the most special things I get to do.... work at a Pregnancy Resource place here close to our home... I had not been able to go in for a while, so I was truly looking forward to today. I never know how God is gonna show up, but I can assure you, He is always there.
It was my second pregnancy test this day, and I knew the young lady was concerned and even agitated as she waited for one of us to get to her. She walked into my room, folded her arms in front of her and sat staring at me with brown eyes unwavering.
I felt this girl had already made some decisions about this situation, and her posture told me that I might not have the opportunity to speak anything other than cursory remarks.
I decided to do the first part of the questionnaire, and leave the last questions until we were waiting for results. I found out she had 2 older children and she was a very tired young mommy living by herself with her kids trying as best as she could to provide on a meager salary. She made it very clear that she was not wanting another baby for any reason. I felt her heart......
As we sat down to answer the final questions on the page, I got to the part about "may I ask you about what your spiritual beliefs are?".... again, hesitation. I felt no "belief" anywhere in this girl, and she said as much when she told me... "I don't believe in God."
Not often do I hear that so succinctly stated... so matter of fact... so "don't tell me about a God that loves me... do you see my life?"
The only thing that was solid in her life was the fact that she could take care of herself and had done so for quite some time. This possible pregnancy had no name attached to it's beginning other than her own. Only a question mark filled the space of "name of father". My heart cried for her as she told me.. "I'm so stupid!" , but my mouth told her...
"this is gonna be okay... let's check the test."
We both walked over to the little blue counter behind us and I told her to look at the little pink line to the left side, it was what a positive test would look like... the space in the center was white, no little pink line of any kind. She dropped her crossed arms and a smile broke across her face. "THANK YOU... THANK YOU!" she almost shouted.
Right then I knew how God was gonna "talk" to her......and I told her......
"you are saying thank you to someone, but it is not me is it?"
She stopped a little taken back, but not offended (thank You Jesus)...
and she said...
"well......., maybe."
I felt it.... the Holy Spirit had her just where He wanted her!
We talked a bit more. She had no Bible, and she'd not been in a church since her baptism as a baby. I asked her if she wanted a Bible, and found one at her affirmative response.......but that "door" would never have been opened except that she walked into a room with me thinking she was about to have to choose abortion for a child she didn't want.
I feel like she was like that "child"... not wanted by anyone......
but a negative test and
a POSITIVE UNGUARDED response of gratitude
allowed me to walk in to offer a gift that had been given to me. Jesus.....
I asked her if I could pray with her.......she allowed that, but would not commit anything other than letting one of our "bloom" ladies call her to "talk" about Who this is that she was grateful to ... I think it was not only the fact that she wasn't pregnant that held her gratitude...
I think it was the fact that she didn't have to decide about life and death.
"I place this day before you LIFE and DEATH... choose LIFE that you may live."......
I think our God knows exactly how to meet us where we are, and often He uses words from our own mouth to confirm His existence to our hearts.
I am praying that this young lady will have someone or even several more someones who will Jesus to her.......and I am betting that this is exactly what God had in mind when
He let me plant a seed. I am thankful that I get to do this "work",
and see the hands of our Creator in wonderful ways.